Established in 1922 St Michael's Catholic Primary School has a long history in the North Shore Community. With the enrolment of over 500 students an adequate school hall extension was required to facilitate the growing needs of the community.
As part of the “Building the Education Revolution” Reid Campbell was engaged to design a “multi function” hall to meet the growing needs of this school. The existing hall was inadequate and there were also a number of constraints to be considered when designing and building the new Hall.
The existing site accessibility lacked a sense of arrival and coherence which were also factors to be investigated in the design of the building. The proposed multi purpose hall needed to house up to 1,000 people, include activity rooms with operable walls for room size adaptability, a stage size with the capacity of up to 100 children, storage space and improved lighting and sound equipment and the capability to extend the current communication system and intra-net facilities of the school.